Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Republicans take note:

Front page of the Salt Lake Tribune, Nov. 21, 2012:

Obama’s aide: Hunstman was biggest threat

Even before Jon Huntsman Jr. announced his candidacy for the presidency, the Democrats knew, or at least suspected, that extremism would be the downfall of the Republican bid for president.

All the numbers show that the middle (political philosophy) won the election for Obama.  He had the extreme liberals locked, just as Romney had the extreme conservatives.  Romney lost because Obama appealed to 56% of the moderates, compared to Romney’s 41%.

There is no doubt in my mind that Huntsman would have captured a lot of those moderate votes.  I know for a fact that he very likely would have taken 2 of the more liberal votes, mine and my friend Adele’s.  There’s no doubt in my mind that Obama is the better choice of the two we were given, by a longshot, but had he run against Huntsman I would have had some real thinking to do.

I voted for him in his bid for reelection as Governor of Utah, I was impressed with his ability to look at all sides of an issue and do what he thought was in the best interest of the state.  At times I disagreed with his decisions, other times I thought he was spot on, but either way it seemed he took into account all opinions, not allowing himself to get locked into a single view of the world. 

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again:  You guys have to jettison that psycho Tea Party, adopt a more inclusive and moderate platform and run candidates that can at least appear to sympathize with moderate Americans.  Because, I’d bet, most of us fall in that category.

No comments: